Dear Friends, I am writing to share with you the cruel practice of starving dogs to death in Malaysian municipal dog pounds. To understand how this is done, please read the following:
1) http://malaysiandogsdeservebetter.blogspot.com/ 2)http://3arabchannel.com/lbc_staracademy_5/view/268ZThWBoMA/DBKL_Dog_Pound_Protest_@_Air_Panas,_Setapak_@_7th_February_2009,_Saturday.html (This clip contains footage of how a local council puts dogs to death last year) In Malaysia, it is the practice for government municipalities to appoint a few selected commercial contractors to catch dogs for a fee. The fee of between MYR 30-45 per dog captured is very lucrative income by Malaysian standards. It thus becomes a very attractive incentive for these commercial contractors to capture as many dogs as possible every day – strays and licensed dogs alike.
Once captured, the dogs are sent to the government animal pounds. Here, they are caged and often left to starve and thirst for days on end. The lucky ones die a quick death; more often than not – they die a slow torturous death from exhaustion, thirst and hunger. This scene is repeated daily in many dog pounds in Malaysia. It is a paradox, that while the majority of Malaysians are caring and God fearing people (the official religion clearly states that being brutal towards animals is a grave sin), many still think it is their right to treat dogs cruelly. Perhaps this is due to the widely held belief that dogs are ‘impure’, and hence it is perfectly acceptable to treat them inhumanely. While there is a prescribed “standard operating procedure” in animal pounds, this is rarely adhered to. Local councils condone the mistreatment of dogs by their staff. Protests by independent pet rescuers over the years has been dismissed as overeaction.
Independent rescuers such as MalaysianDogsDeserveBetter (http://malaysiandogsdeservebetter.blogspot.com/) and Furry Friends Farm (http://www.furryfriendsfarm.org.my/) have been working tirelessly to raise public awareness and to lobby for changes. However, progress has been painfully slow over the years. If you happen to be visiting Malaysia, spare a thought for the strays you see in the streets. Chances are, it will be a matter of time before these strays are caught by some commercial dog catcher appointed by a local council, and die a slow torturous death in a local dog pound. Please help raise awareness and stop this cruel practice by :
1. Sharing this information with other animal rights groups
2. Writing to register your concerns to Members of the Malaysian Parliament:
1. SENATOR DATO’ RAJA NONG CHIK BIN DATO’ RAJA ZAINAL ABIDIN MINISTER OF FEDERAL TERRITORIES AND URBAN WELLBEING Ministry of Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing, Email: email@example.com
2. SENATOR DATUK SERI IDRIS JALA MINISTER IN THE PRIME MINISTER’S OFFICE Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3.DATO’ SERI KONG CHO HA MINISTER OF HOUSING AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT Email:Kongchoha@kpkt.gov.my
4. DATUK SARAVANAN A/L MURUGAN DEPUTY MINISTER OF FEDERAL TERRITORIES AND URBAN WELLBEING Email: email@example.com
5. TAN SRI DATO` SERI ABD KHALID BIN IBRAHIM CHIEF MINISTER OF STATE OF SELANGOR Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
[[[ *** RESPONSE *** ]]]
Let commission be commensurate with the effort and time. Minimum wage per dog will be fine. It may take even less than 5-10 mins to bag a stray, but they get 1 full hour’s pay – hence minimum wage per dog. This is a humble, unskilled, fairly simple and undesirable job, don’t make it into a gold mine to cronies at cost to the taxpayer.
When graduates who take years and spend 10s or 100s of thousands to get a degree barely make ends meet, dog pounders should not get so much money that a degree is worth less than being a crony. The regular citizens might as well catch their own stray dogs and collect the reward as in Vietnam (or was it Cambodia) where to protect rice crops, any person who kills and brings in a rat, gets paid, no matter who.
Otherwise if commissioned to specific individuals (the voters should not vote people that legislate such selective awarding which doubtless will only reach their friends and family in sheer NEPOTISM to cement their term limitless OLIGARCHY towards dictatorship), ONLY minimum wage will be tolerated. Lets not over-inflate the egos of people in untrained ‘professions’ like these alright, especially if crony selective based?