Thai Girl Sentenced to Death for Transporting Drugs Posted on February 11, 2012
Raveeploy Sangkam is a salesgirl from Thailand swallowed 83 pellets containing drugs. She was sentenced to death by a High Court in nearby Malaysia for trafficking in 765.9gm of cocaine.
She committed the offense in a bathroom of the Serdang Hospital in Sepang between 5-8 November, 2010. Raveeploy was detained at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (Malaysia) upon arriving from Buenos Aires, Argentina. This was a transit stop for her before taking a flight on to Bangkok.
The authorities found nothing in her bag but when they brought her to the hospital and did an X-ray examination, they found foreign objects in her body. 83 pellets were found (in her stool).
According to testimony in court, the accused had met an Argentinian man named Rado on the Internet. Raveeploy then travelled to Argentina to meet Rado. It was said that Rado had asked her to carry the drug pellets and promised her US$5,000 upon her arrival in Bangkok.
The accused swallowed the pellets 7 hours before her flight
This sentence is ludicrous, but the woman concerned is obviously pretty stupid as well. Killing people doesn’t deter those who are greedy, desperate or stupid – all it does is fuel the demand for the drug suppliers to find more people to run the risk.
It’s high time the entire approach to drugs changed, but in the meantime while we live in this barbaric world, stay away from any illegal substance in Asia.
[[[ *** RESPONSE *** ]]]
Though there was intent to distribute dangerous drugs, none were distributed and the offender did not harm anyone and does not need to lose her life. Save taxpayer on the applied hanging death (a circus of viciousness if anything) and kick the offender Raveeploy Sangkam out of the country you prison contractor enriching judges! Send them to the freest of the 3rd world or those drug legalized countries where they will be happy with the laws there, and can get stoned, grow psychedelics and hallucinate until the next Messiah arrives (this is up to Thailand to decide when of course – nabbing dealers and traffickers who would otherwise be salesmen and merchants and growers there will result in more rubbish). Give them a nice list of countries to choose from or just END PROHIBITION LAWS. But bar them from using passports after they reach their destination. Another drug addict or few in those areas will make no difference. The onus of prevention is upon the authorities. This is wasted manpower and funds when a simple solution as above can be used. Well send them to their fav place since none died, waste of money. Otherwise amend those laws and legalize with price controls and state controlled sales!
Big Ben terror gang get shorter jail terms: Credit for early pleas that saved taxpayers £2.5m By Rebecca Camber Last updated at 8:01 AM on 10th February 2012
Ringleader: Mohammed Chowdhury was jailed for 13 years and eight months for his part in the plot
Nine men who plotted a Mumbai-style series of terror attacks on Britain had their sentences cut by a fifth yesterday after their guilty pleas prevented a £2.5million trial.
A judge ruled that the fanatics who plotted a Christmas bombing campaign with targets including the London Stock Exchange, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey should serve 20 per cent less time behind bars in exchange for the 11th-hour plea bargain.
Mr Justice Wilkie said the gang deserved double the 10 per cent credit usually given for a guilty plea because their high-security trial would have lasted five months, costing the taxpayer an estimated £2.5million.
The ruling means that the group’s ringleader Mohammed Chowdhury, 21, will walk free in less than six years.
Other members of the gang received even shorter terms, with one set to serve less than two years.
All nine defendants pleaded guilty last week on the eve of their trial following a so-called ‘Goodyear’ direction hearing, in which defence barristers received guidance from the judge about the length of sentence the defendants would expect if they admitted guilt.
Guilty: (Top row and left on 2nd row) Shah Rahman, Gurukanth Desai and Abdul Miah, who were part of the quartet guilty of the most serious terror charges in the case. On the 2nd row, right, is Omar Latif, from Cardiff. Left to right on the third row are Usman Khan and Mohammed Shahjahan from Stoke and on the bottom row are Mohibur Rahman and Nazam Hussain, also from Stoke : THE SENTENCES IN FULL
Mohammed Chowdhury – extended sentence of 18 years and 8 months with a custodial element of 13 years and eight months.
Gurukanth Desai – extended sentence of 17 years with a custodial element of 12 years
Nazam Hussain – indeterminate sentence with a minimum term of eight years
Usman Khan – indeterminate sentence with a minimum term of eight years
Omar Latif – extended sentence of 15 years and four months with a 10 years and four months custodial element
Abdul Miah – extended sentence of 21 years and 10 months, with a 16 years and 10 months custodial element
Mohibur Rahman – five years in prison
Shah Rahman – extended sentence of 18 years with a custodial element of 12 years.
Mohammed Shahjahan – indeterminate sentence with a minimum term of eight years and ten months.
Yesterday Mr Justice Wilkie said: ‘In most cases a plea of guilty on the outset of the trial results in a discount against sentence of the order of 10 per cent.
‘This is a trial of unusual complexity and length. Had it [been] fought it was estimated that it could have lasted up to five months at huge further public expense.’
He added that because the defendants pleaded guilty to ‘very serious’ offences and exposed themselves to ‘lengthy’ prison sentences, ‘in my judgment the appropriate discount for a plea of guilty in this case is of the order of 20 per cent’.
Last night Tory MP Patrick Mercer questioned whether the cost of a trial should determine the tariff of terrorists who could have killed thousands.
Had they faced trial, the plotters could have expected sentences of about 20 years.
‘We have to ask if it’s right that cost overrules a serious and credible punishment,’ Mr Mercer said.
‘Whilst there is more to this than meets the eye, a light sentence like this has always got to be balanced against its deterrent effect. Six or so years seems remarkably lenient in respect of plans to murder huge numbers of people.’
Target: The group had lined up Big Ben (right) on their terror hitlist of iconic London landmarks
Target: The London Stock Exchange was on a list of terror targets found by police
Plot: The group planned to send a mail bomb to the American Embassy in London
Plot: The group planned to send a mail bomb to the American Embassy in London
Police arrested the Al-Qaeda-inspired radicals on December 20, 2010, four days before they planned to plant their first bomb in the toilets of the London Stock Exchange.
They found a handwritten list of targets which included the U.S. Embassy and the homes of London Mayor Boris Johnson, the Dean of St Paul’s Cathedral and two rabbis.
Target: London Mayor Boris Johnson’s name and home address appeared on a handwritten list of targets found at Choudhury’s home by police
The gang also carried out surveillance of other possible targets including Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the Palace of Westminster and the London Eye.
The group planned to send five bombs in the post to London synagogues and the Church of Scientology headquarters, as well as spreading panic in Stoke-on-Trent by planting bombs in pub and club toilets.
Their plot was foiled after the security services bugging their homes and cars heard discussions of a ‘Mumbai’ atrocity on the streets of Britain, mirroring the guerrilla-style 2008 attack in India.
Yesterday police released photographs of the gang holding a series of secret meetings after Chowdhury, of Tower Hamlets, and 29-year-old Shah Rahman, from Newham, travelled from east London to meet Cardiff plotters Omar Latif, 28, Gurukanth Desai, 30, and Abdul Miah, 25, in a country park in Wales.
There, they were met by another terror cell from Stoke-on-Trent comprising Usman Khan, 20, Mohammed Shahjahan, 27, Mohibur Rahman, 27, and Nazam Hussain, 26.
Mr Justice Wilkie said the discussions did not just relate to ‘a single imminent incident’ but ‘a range of possible types of attack and targets’, as well as a plan to ‘finance, construct and operate a terrorist training facility’ in Pakistan.
Surveillance: Chowdhury and Shah Rahman were both seen studying Westminster Abbey
Tourist attraction: The London Eye also came under surveillance
Urban beauty spot: Roath Park in Cardiff, where the gang first met
Chowdhury, Shah Rahman, Miah and Desai admitted preparing to commit an act of terrorism. Chowdhury was handed a 13 year and eight month sentence while Shah Rahman was jailed for at least 12 years, Miah for at least 16 years and 10 months and Desai for at least 12 years.
They will be eligible for release after serving half of their sentence, and are likely to spend even less time behind bars owing to time served on remand.
Of the Stoke-based cell, Shahjahan – described as a serious jihadist who once appeared in a BBC documentary talking about bringing Sharia law to the UK – was given an indeterminate sentence with a minimum term of eight years and ten months.
Khan and Hussain were given indeterminate sentences with a minimum term of eight years. Mohibur Rahman was jailed for five years after pleading guilty to possession of Al-Qaeda magazines featuring bomb-making instructions.
Latif was jailed for 10 years and four months for assisting the others to engage in acts of terrorism by attending two planning meetings.
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
They planned to terrorism and they DESERVE credit for saving the taxpayer money????? What planet do these judges live on?
– MS, England, 10/2/2012 06:47
A plea bargain for this type of attempted crime should be 20 years at least and serve the whole 20 years to avoid life without parole, but that would be in America.
– +Judy+, AMERICA, 10/2/2012 04:27
Once again we get the nonsense about “sentenced to 96 years” when the terrorist with the heaviest sentence will be out in six years.
– Stan Dupp, Letsbee Avenue, UK, 10/2/2012 03:58
Terrorism should = life with no parole!
– ExpatUSA, USA, 10/2/2012 02:57
These despicable, cowardly scumbags should have been sent down for life. Full life.
– Alan Rowley, Sa Kaeo, 10/2/2012 02:06
I often wonder why the Press frequently give a total prison time as the sum of the number of individual sentences. In this case 94 years ? Gives false impression I think
– Trooper909, London, 10/2/2012 01:44
Well done to those who helped to stop this evil act. I feel sorry for the many genuine Muslims who are often victimised for their faith because of these twisted individuals.
– goodgirl, hull, uk, 10/2/2012 01:34
I can’t believe that people like this are actually walking the streets of Britain !! What a sad state of affairs the politicians of Great Britain have left this country in over the last 40 odd years !!
– Steve, Auck., NZ, 10/2/2012 01:08
Why can’t we have a law that if any person is convicted of terrorist acts or intent to commit terrorist acts, they must be given life sentences without parole? That would ensure that they would never be released, and they would rot away for ever in prison. I would suggest that a special prison be built for such people. Somewhere near the Falklands comes to mind.
– Toby, Salisbury, 10/2/2012 00:44
6 years in jail for planning mass murder – Unbelievable.
– george, st Ives cambs, 10/2/2012 00:06
[[[ *** RESPONSE *** ]]]
Save on the jail terms and kick them out of the country you prison contractor enriching judges! Send them to the worst of the 3rd world or those fundo countries where they will be happy with the extreme faithers there, and can pray and tend camel herds and eat cactus until the next jihad occurs (this is up to England to decide when of course – sending troops theer will result in more rubbish). Give them a nice list to choose from. But bar them from using passports after they reach their destination. Another terrorist or few in those areas will make no difference. The onus of prevention is upon the authorities. This is wasted manpower and funds when a simple solution as above can be used. Well send them to their fav place since none died and the plot failed, waste of money.
Mo. teen gets life with possible parole in killing Associated PressBy DAVID A. LIEB | Associated Press – 59 mins ago
FILE – In this Dec. 8, 2009 file photo, Alyssa Bustamante, 15, listens during a brief hearing where her attorney entered not guilty pleas on her behalf to charges of armed criminal action and first-degree murder in Cole County Circuit Court in Jefferson City, Mo. Bustamante, who admitted stabbing, strangling and slitting the throat of a young neighbor girl, wrote in her journal on the night of the killing that it was an “ahmazing” and “pretty enjoyable” experience — then headed off to church with a laugh. The words written by Bustamante were read aloud in court Monday, Feb. 6, 2012, as part of a sentencing hearing to determine whether she should get life in prison or something less for the October 2009 murder of her neighbor, 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten, in a small town west of Jefferson City. (AP Photo/Kelley McCall, Pool, File)View Gallery
FILE – In this Dec. 8, 2009 file photo, Alyssa Bustamante, 15, listens during a brief …
This photo released Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2012 by the Cole County sheriff’s office shows Alyssa Bustamante. Bustamante, 18, who confessed to murdering a young neighbor girl, was described as a thrill killer by prosecutors and a mentally disturbed child by her defense attorneys as a judge heard arguments Tuesday on whether she should be sentenced to life in prison or something less. (AP Photo/Cole County Sheriff’s Office)Enlarge Photo
This photo released Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2012 by the Cole County sheriff’s office shows …
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — A Missouri teenager who had described the slaying of a young neighbor girl as an “ahmazing” thrill made an emotional apology Wednesday to the girl’s family and was sentenced to a potential lifetime in prison.
Moments before her sentence was imposed, 18-year-old Alyssa Bustamante rose from her chair — with shackles linking her ankles and holding her hands to her waist — and turned to face the family of 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten, whom she confessed to killing in October 2009.
“I really am extremely, very sorry for everything. I know words,” she said, pausing to take a deep breath and struggling to compose herself, “can never be enough, and they can never adequately describe how horribly I feel for all of this.”
She later added: “If I could give my life to get her back I would. I’m sorry.”
Elizabeth’s mother, Patty Preiss, who on the first day of Bustamante’s sentencing hearing called her an “evil monster” and declared “I hate her,” sat silently, staring forward as Bustamante’s finished her apology.
Cole County Circuit Judge Pat Joyce then sentenced Bustamante to the maximum possible sentence for second-degree murder — life in prison with the possibility of parole. She ordered the teenager to serve a consecutive 30-year term for armed criminal action, a charge resulting from her use of a knife to slit the throat and stab Elizabeth after she had strangled her into unconsciousness.
Elizabeth’s family declined to comment about the sentencing, as did Bustamante’s family.
There were no immediate indications that Bustamante planned to appeal the sentence.
Bustamante originally had been charged with first-degree murder but pleaded guilty last month to the lesser charges to avoid a trial and the possibility of spending her life in an adult prison with no chance of release.
Bustamante was 15 years old at the time of Elizabeth’s murder in the small town of St. Martins, just west of Jefferson City. Evidence presented during her hearing revealed that Bustamante had dug a shallow grave in the woods several days in advance, then used her younger sister to lure Elizabeth out of her home with an invitation to play. Bustamante, who had hidden a knife in a backpack, said she had a surprise for Elizabeth in the forest. The surprise turned out to be her demise.
During her two-day sentencing hearing, prosecutors referred repeatedly to an entry Bustamante wrote in her journal on Oct. 21, 2009 — the night of Elizabeth’s death — in which she admitted to having just killed someone.
“I strangled them and slit their throat and stabbed them now they’re dead,” Bustamante wrote in her diary, which was read in court by a handwriting expert. “I don’t know how to feel atm. It was ahmazing. As soon as you get over the ‘ohmygawd I can’t do this’ feeling, it’s pretty enjoyable. I’m kinda nervous and shaky though right now. Kay, I gotta go to church now…lol.”
Bustamante then left for a youth dance at a Mormon church her family attended while hundreds of volunteers began a two-day hunt for the dead girl. Although she initially lied to authorities about Elizabeth’s whereabouts, Bustamante eventually confessed to police and led them to Elizabeth’s leaf-covered shallow grave.
Defenses attorneys had argued for leniency after presenting evidence from family members and mental health experts about Bustamante’s troubled childhood. Bustamante was born to teenage, drug-abusing parents; her father was imprisoned and her mother abandoned her, leaving her in the legal custody of her grandmother.
After a suicide attempt on Labor Day 2007 as she was starting eighth grade, Bustamante was prescribed the antidepressant Prozac. Her dosage had been increased just two weeks before Elizabeth’s death. A defense psychiatrist testified that the medication could have made Bustamante moodier and more violent and contributed to the murder — a theory rejected by a different psychiatrist testifying for prosecutors.
Charlie Moreland, one of Bustamante’s attorneys, described the sentence imposed Wednesday as “a harsh punishment.”
“This was a child who had been spiraling out of control, but has treatable conditions,” Moreland said.
Under Missouri guidelines, Bustamante would have to serve 35 years and 5 months in prison before she is eligible for parole, said Department of Corrections spokesman Chris Cline. It’s also possible that the more than two years Bustamante spent in jail while awaiting her sentencing could be counted toward that time.
After spending several weeks at a diagnostic prison, Bustamante could be placed in either one of Missouri’s two female prisons or sent out of state. Cline said department officials also would evaluate whether Bustamante should be kept separate from other adult woman inmates.
[[[ *** RESPONSE *** ]]]
Save those 40-60 years worth of taxpayer funds and offer the ‘A Life fer a Life’ Xian option. If none of the family take up the ‘killback’ then shoot, harvest and dispose (harvested parts returnable for final rites when receipients die – spiritual requirements). So many tax funds do not justify unless the work done in prison can offset the expense. Sounds like something spiritual here though . . . Bustamante looks abit like that Ruth Marx character from ‘The Net’ . . . Once again, where possible, all criminals should in the interest of saving tax monies spent on prison contractors, be sent to any country which will have them as regular citizens.